Smoke Alarm Installation & Testing
Protect your home with interconnected photoelectric smoke alarms
One of the most important ways to protect your family is with the latest smoke alarms. The Queensland government has recognized this and introduced new smoke alarm laws that have been phasing in since Jan ’17. These laws require installation of interconnected photoelectric smoke alarms.
Smoke Alarm Installation
South East Electrical use the best smoke detector systems available. Below are our three main solutions for interconnected photoelectric smoke alarms. These solutions provide cost-effective ways for you to become fully compliant and keep your home safe.
Red Smoke Alarms
This 100% Australian owned company manufactures and sells smoke alarms with a 10 year warranty. Given that you’re required to replace your smoke alarm after 10 years, that means you never own a smoke detector that isn’t under warranty.
They’re functionally great also. With a central controller that connects to each alarm, you can test, locate and silence any alarm from a central location. If you’re a landlord, allowing your occupant to silence false alarms at the push of a button reduces call outs. If you’re the occupant, then silencing an alarm without poking at a screaming alarm with a broom is a game-changer.
They also have a hush button. So if you know you’re about to burn the toast, hush the smoke alarm at the push of a button before the smoke rises.
Voltex Smoke Alarms
The Voltex smoke alarms are a great alternative where there is no ceiling for us to install cables in. With their 10 year lithium batteries and wireless interconnect system, these smoke alarms can satisfy Queensland laws without being connected via cables.
They come with a 7 year warranty, meaning most of the alarm’s functional lifespan will be covered by warranty.
Clipsal Smoke Alarms
Clipsal are one of the most recognizable names in electrical and smoke detector equipment. This highly respected brand supplies reliable and effective smoke alarms.
We use Clipsal smoke alarms when adding to an existing installation. This allows us to provide a cost-effective solution that provides safety and compliance for the household.
Call Us Today About Smoke Alarm Installation
We are South East Queensland electricians for smoke alarm testing and installation.
Experts in interconnected photoelectric smoke detectors, fully versed in the compliance requirements for Queensland legislation.
Smoke Alarm Testing
Our Smoke Alarm Testing Services
South East Electrical provides comprehensive smoke detector testing for agents, landlords, and tenants.
The test will include the following:
Book Your Smoke Alarm Test
Keep your property safe and keep it compliant with our smoke alarm testing.
Smoke Alarm Legislation
What You Need To Know About Smoke Alarms In Queensland
With the introduction of new smoke alarm legislation in Queensland your obligations as a home owner or landlord have changed.
To comply with legislation, interconnected photoelectric smoke alarms are required:
- From 1 January 2017: in all new dwellings and substantially renovated dwellings (this applies to building applications submitted from 1 January 2017).
- From 1 January 2022: in all domestic dwellings leased and sold.
- From 1 January 2027: in all other domestic dwellings.
Current Smoke Alarm Laws
- Existing smoke alarms manufactured more than 10 years ago must be replaced with photoelectric smoke alarms which comply with Australian Standards (AS) 3786-2014. (Note: the date should be stamped on the back)
- Smoke alarms that do not operate when tested must be replaced immediately.
- Existing hardwired smoke alarms that need replacement, must be replaced with a hardwired photoelectric smoke alarm.
Looks For This Sticker On Your Smoke Alarms
Smoke alarms must comply with the Standard AS 3786-2014.
Incoming Smoke Alarm Laws
The following will come into effect by 2027.
- All private homes, townhouses and units will require hardwired photoelectric, interconnected smoke alarms. If a hardwired smoke alarm cannot be installed, non-removable 10-year battery smoke alarms can be installed in place.
- Detectors must be placed in accordance with the following diagram: