Smoke Alarm Installation & Testing
Gold Coast electricians for smoke alarm testing and installation. Experts in interconnected photoelectric smoke detectors, fully versed in compliance requirements for Queensland legislation.
Protect your home with interconnected photoelectric smoke alarms
One of the most important ways to protect your family is with the latest smoke alarms. The Queensland government has recognized this and introduced new smoke alarm laws that have been phasing in since Jan ’17.
About three quarters of Queensland deaths in home fires are in homes without smoke alarms. It’s a simple fact that smoke detectors save lives. As a home owner you have a responsibility to make sure your smoke detectors are operating correctly.
Our Smoke Alarm Services
South East Electrical provide comprehensive smoke detector testing for agents, landlords and tenants.
The test will include the following:
- Check expiry date (once the detector is ten years old it is required to be replaced
- Battery change
- Complete a smoke test
- Advise if existing location of each detector is correct with current regulations
Smoke Alarm Installation
For the safest smoke alarms connected according to the Queensland legislation contact us at South East Electrical.
We will install smoke alarms following the Queensland legislation:
- Interconnected smoke alarms
- Photoelectric smoke alarms
- Installed in accordance with the latest smoke alarm safety guidelines
Smoke Alarm Testing & Installation
For any information about how to ensure the safety of your home or inquires about our services please contact us today.
What You Need To Know About Smoke Alarms In Queensland
With the introduction of new smoke alarm legislation in Queensland your obligations as a home owner or landlord have changed.
To comply with legislation, interconnected photoelectric smoke alarms are required:
- From 1 January 2017: in all new dwellings and substantially renovated dwellings (this applies to building applications submitted from 1 January 2017).
- From 1 January 2022: in all domestic dwellings leased and sold.
- From 1 January 2027: in all other domestic dwellings.
Current Smoke Alarm Laws
- Existing smoke alarms manufactured more than 10 years ago must be replaced with photoelectric smoke alarms which comply with Australian Standards (AS) 3786-2014. (Note: the date should be stamped on the back)
- Smoke alarms that do not operate when tested must be replaced immediately.
- Existing hardwired smoke alarms that need replacement, must be replaced with a hardwired photoelectric smoke alarm.
Looks For This Sticker On Your Smoke Alarms
Smoke alarms must comply with the Standard AS 3786-2014.
Incoming Smoke Alarm Laws
The following will come into effect by 2027.
- All private homes, townhouses and units will require hardwired photoelectric, interconnected smoke alarms. If a hardwired smoke alarm cannot be installed, non-removable 10-year battery smoke alarms can be installed in place.
- Detectors must be placed in accordance with the following diagram:
Why Use South East Electrical For Your Smoke Detector Testing
- We’re a local Gold Coast company who have been servicing the Gold Coast for over a decade.
- Our expertise in smoke alarms and smoke detector systems.
- We do more than smoke alarms. We’re a complete electrical company.
- Our expertise in smoke alarms and smoke alarm requirements.