Choosing the right heating and cooling solution for your home or office can be a big decision. Many factors can come into play, such as the size and division of rooms, the age of the building, and your budget. There are a number of different systems on the market including; ducted systems, evaporative systems and panel heaters (as a heating solution).
Another popular option is split air conditioning system. This is a highly efficient and cost-effective way to heat and cool your property. Often also called mini-split, ductless split, or duct-free air conditioning, this system can adequately cool a standard-sized house without requiring extensive installation costs and efforts.
What is a split system?
A split system, as its name suggests, is split into two or more operating components. The fan and evaporator (inside the building), and a compressor unit (outside the building). The two sections are connected using wires and tubing. It is these lines that allow the system to be considered ductless.
As with anything there are advantages and disadvantages. In the case of the split system air conditioning system the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
Advantages of a split system
- No ductwork means there will be very little modification to your home when the system is installed.
- Quick and easy to operate. Split systems heat or cool spaces very quickly and are easy to control via a remote control.
- Deliver warm or cool air only in the spaces needed.
- Because they are powered by electricity, split systems can be subsidised by solar power, making them a cost-effective solution for homes powered with the help of solar panels.
- Low ongoing maintenance costs.
- Most split systems have heating and cooling capabilities as standard, so you can use one system year-round.
- Split air conditioning systems are quiet compared to window units.
Disadvantages of a split system
- Purchase and installation can be twice as expensive as other air conditioning systems
- As with all air-conditioning systems oversized or incorrectly located units can be inefficient.
- Difficulty in finding qualified people who are willing to install a split system
The experienced team at South East Electrical specialize in the service, sales and installation of split system air conditioners. We can supply and install a split system air-conditioner or install only, we’re available for either. Contact us now for a quote.