South East Electrical Services

How to avoid fire in the home

By following some simple steps you can save your home and your family from a damaging or fatal house fire. 

Queensland smoke alarm regulations came into being in 2011 as a result of a fatal Slacks Creek fire where 11 people from one family died. Tragedies like this can be avoided with some simple steps. 

Be aware of fire hot spots

Most house fires start in the kitchen, and 9 times out 10 they are the result of cooking being left unattended. By being aware of your surroundings and keeping the kitchen clear of potential causes of fire you will ensure the safety of your home. Keep in mind there are many dangerous and flammable substances and material in the kitchen. 

Other common areas where fires start are the bedroom and the lounge room. 

Fix or get rid of malfunctioning electrical equipment

A whopping 40% of house fires are caused by electrical malfunctions.  These are more likely to occur in the cooler months when heaters or electric blankets are used for the first time in a long time. 

Overloaded electrical circuits and misuse or “fixing” of electrical equipment are also common causes of fire. If you are experiencing electric shocks in the home or flickering lights it may mean you have a potential electrical fault. Contact Glenn at South East Electrical before it becomes a fire and safety risk. And don’t do your own handy work on electrical appliances.

Keep cigarettes and candles under control

Many fires start in the home as a result of cigarette smoking and unattended candles.  It is also important to keep matches and lighters out of reach from children. Many children are hospitalised with burns as a result of playing with easily available matches, candles or lighters. 

Install smoke alarms

Statistics show that you are twice as likely to die in a house fire if you don’t have a smoke alarm.

On average in Australia 51 people a year die from preventable house fires. In almost all cases there was no smoke alarm installed. Every home owners priority is to have a working smoke alarm and every land lord should ensure they have them installed in their rental properties as there is no doubt that working smoke alarms save lives. 

close

Copy and paste this code to display the image on your site

Subscribe

Please
contribute,

to our testimonials